1. At one point during the year I managed to hold down decent grades, a fledgling relationship and gym going. It has since become clear that this was a temporary, superhuman feat that I can't accomplish. Nice to dare to try. That was the zenith of my existence so far, normal person wise but also the bottom of my being 'myself'.
2. Crossed off another 2 of my top 5 artists first by attending Incubus as o2 Islington and within 2 weeks seeing Prince and the NPG over at Hop Farm Festival. I must admit, it wasn't until halfway through my second Incubus experience back in November that I really got it, but to be part of such an early show and with such good company was a privilege. It totally turned me around on the new album though, promise. On the other hand I think Prince could have sat and played exclusively Gangsta Glam remixes and Graffiti Bridge filler songs and I would have trumpeted it as a top experience. Not only was it a beautiful greatest hits trip but one of those life-affirming experiences, like the one I felt at Jamiroquai in the o2 Arena earlier in the year.
|He's obviously never heard those Gangsta Glam remixes before.|
4. Completed first year of university, of course very proud of that. Not much more to say than 'onwards and upwards' and to wish readers the very best in whatever sort of job or studies they might be up to. What the year to come holds is a terrifying mystery.
5. I flew in an aeroplane! All the way across the sea to Edinburgh, which didn't make sense to me but I was asleep the entire time so wasn't able to use my keen pilot skills. Without a doubt my new least favourite method of transit not because it is worrying (it was all painfully mundane) but because a 1.5 hour flight costs you about 5 hours of time. Never-mind the plethora of 'we're doing business' taxes they try and attach to you. On the flip side, trains are now way up high on my list since I did my massive travelling splurge mid-term. I got everywhere.
6. After my well publicized falling out with nightclubs due to some horror stories and some generally poor experiences and opinions, November saw me fall into a sort of love affair in which I would plead for company on a Thursday night. I was shocked to the core that I could finally break that mental block, finally go by that addage 'if you don't like the music, love it', and all without as much as a hangover the next day. Pretty excited for next Sunday, gonna be a stunner just you see York.
7. My stint on URY has been a pretty big success to me on certain levels. Finally involved meaningfully in a society, finally got something to say apart from 'yeah history student' and also finally being able to express my love for music beyond just playing it to myself and saying it's great. I also started a crusade to become knowledgable on Acid Jazz, difficult for a man who was a toddler during it's popularity. I hope anyone who has listened to The Specialist will continue to do so this year, hopefully at a more 'I can play sweary songs' timeslot in the evening.
2012 has so far been a little confusing... magnificent unexpected rally on New Years Day, I may actually have a heart after all (suck on that, devil who I did a deal with), feeling woefully unprepared for my exams a week away. But on the other hand I looked on my friends list and found out that there are so many nice people I have met, 2012 will be a decent year after all full of excitement and the universal age of majority if we speak our minds (tactfully) and share the warmth. What have I become? I'd better wrap up before the blog melts.