A collection of ideas for your interest and for the benefit of my mental health.

30 November 2011

The most wonderful time of the year!

For discussion this time:

1. The obligatory post.
2. What is it about this time of year?
3. The joy of singlemas.

As the winter season approaches faster than that train in the creepy christmas train movie with computer Tom Hanks, it is high time I make my annual declaration of singleness (and disatisfaction about that) to the world.  Like the queen's speech, this annual address has echoed for years (mostly in my head before I had a blog, and possibly on my old blog which I can't find) but the story never changes. In a shocking return to personal life blogging, this christmas period truly is best served ice cold.


The stereotypes are true!  Everywhere, everybody is in a couple!  Not an exageration at all.  I've spent another year predominantly lone wolfing but without sheep to hunt.  Not to suggest I'm the butt of a welsh based sheep joke (please ignore the word butt).  In the past month everyone seems to be developing the need for a lady (or a man) and the topic of relationships or this person or that person comes up more and more regularly.  Though this can be difficult for me to detect, in the haze of my listenings to lusty and loving Prince tracks from 30 years, but its definitely on the rise.  In the warm months it all goes to shit, but apparently now is the time for cuddly warm rendez-vous.  Is that the only reason?  I don't know.  At the time of year I contemplate my achievements and future goals, I find myself wondering if I already met that special lady, but probably not because she's probably coupled up.

The power of beng single at Christmas has its advantages.  Certainly you have fewer obligations, but if you're a tight git like me you also have less spending to do!  Christmas is pretty silly if you think about it, I even considered abolishing gift giving in the family the other day (spend the money you would spend on others on yourself, and you will feel guilty).  But alas I shall continue to mainstream and enjoy the bounty of another year's existence.  You also get to spend all the time in the world hanging out with your single friends, many of whom I'm blessed with (for better or worse depending on their own worldview).  It's always a little simpler too, and your emotions can be focused on how maddening this family gathering is and how much you fucking hate Shrek.

An appropriate song I just discovered.  Sums it up quite well.  Have a great December, there's a light at the end of the tunnel!

6 comments:

  1. Think I'll be joining you on the single ticket this christmas.

    I usually find that Christmas food and drink is enough to make up for any misery-inducing factors.
    Currently sampling Coop finest mince pies. Much better than Sainsbury's.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I suppose if you hate Shrek you won't be going to see Puss In Boots?

    I'm going to see it with my mum and I'm not kidding, it's probably going to be one of my highlights this season. Up there with Sherlock Holmes 2, War Horse and the Doctor Who Christmas Special.

    We're already planning weepy sentimental afternoons with the Basic 8 that simply involve watching Love Actually and in my case, weeping like Natalie Portman after she won her Oscar.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stevo, certainly anticipating Christmas day. The turkey is the food highlight of the year. December itself is usually festive enough to distract from the bad elements of the season, you're right.

    Jane, Shrek only bothers me when it is forcibly included in my life by my little cousin on Christmas. I'm really looking forward to seeing Doctor Who too, and seeing Stewart Lee as well. Lot's to enjoy, it's not all bad news. :) What's a Basic 8?

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh yeah i forgot we're seeing him.

    brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Does it help when I tells you I love you?

    ReplyDelete