A collection of ideas for your interest and for the benefit of my mental health.

26 February 2011

It's almost time to go...

Gonna aim to write this in one go.

Still got nothing from the lady about the house. I'm getting uncomfortable now. Mmmm.

I had a little go on the radio a couple of weeks ago on Uni Radio York and since they're getting a refit soon I thought it might be worth jumping on the bandwagon and making an honest man out of myself. Obviously a talk show would be unfathomably awful so I'm wondering what sort of show I should present? One idea I had would be a Get Psyched hour, and putting in a mix of hyping up songs. Struggling to think beyond that. Leave a comment with your ideas/opinions and yes this was a test to see if anyone reads this.

Been getting in to Mad Men a lot. Finished the first series. Feel sorry for Don. He's a dick but his wife is a massive annoyance to me and to everybody I'm gonna assume. What strikes me about this show apart from how cool smoking and drinking is in it, and its overall super-style, is the humour that occasionally springs up. The election night office party and the scene where Don and Roger have to take the stairs are some of my favourites.

Speaking of drinking, had the Arnold Schwarzenegger marathon last night which was a great success. Managed to avoid most of Predator by falling asleep, fantastic win. Shocking favourite had to be The Sixth Day which was very biopunk, if not cyberpunk and cool, I especially liked the helicopter-cum-jet ships that Arnie chartered. Stylish film I thought. 2 Arnies are better than 1.

Further to that sci-fi movie today I watched Ghost in the Shell. For a film so lauded with praise I'm not sure I enjoyed it as much as I was expecting. It is undeniably well animated but the pacing was weird and it seemed extremely tame especially for its time of release. Still, it is a cyberpunk universe I shall be revisiting.

I also managed to get myself a copy of Akira used. If they release it on dvd again I'd probably buy it, depending. But for now eBay has provided me one for under a tenner delivered which I call a win. A classic anime film and a true inspiration. I really wish I was with my LEGO right now.

Inkeeping with this week's cyberpunk theme I had some time to play Dystopia again. For those inevitably unaware its a free, source-engine online game where teams fight to complete objectives. I really like the feeling of this game, its environments, its similarity to Gibson's Sprawl Trilogy. The fact that gameplay rests on 2 separate types of action, run and gun and hacking into a virtual world, set it apart from the norm. I was quite unhappy to find only 2 servers active. And that I'm rubbish at the game now.

I think maybe its a product of the gloomy 80s feeling, and the cyberpunk genre's origins in those times, but the music of that era fits the feeling of low-life and high-tech, oppression, powerlessness and apocolypse very well. That's why, in true Mini fashion, today's blog was brought to you by the song 'The Dance Electric' performed by André Cymone which isn't a patch on the 12 minute Prince & The Revolution version despite being effectively the same except without a high quality version existing. Have fun y'all.

1 comment:

  1. Glad you're enjoying Mad Men, I agree, Betty can fuck off

    ReplyDelete